Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
The communication associate is responsible for helping to develop and implement the
communication priorities and platforms of the c3 and c4 affiliates. In addition, communicating with
policymakers, key stakeholders, funders, media and the community about the organization’s
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement communication strategies
- Keep track of the organization’s published in the media
- Draft media releases, and supervise listings and media kit development
- Initiate, plan and supervise media promotion of the organization
- Oversee weekly and monthly newsletters
- Edit the organization’s texts and communication material
- Work with web designer to keep and update websites
- Develop and consolidate relations with the media.
- Schedule and manage advertising and promotion campaigns.
- Train and guide staff in external communications.
- Develop communication materials such as print-outs, pamphlets, reports, fact sheets and
website in coordination with staff.
- Contribute towards organization image through appearances and strategic planning.
- Record, review and update the organization’s communication strategies.
- In coordination with staff manage the organization’s social media
- Grant writing and reporting
- Bachelor’s Degree in public policy, public administration or a related degree required,
advanced degree preferred (Masters or J.D.)
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in non-profit or government
- At Least 3-year experience working with media
- Excellent communication skill
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- In-depth knowledge on reproductive health, right and justice issues impacting Black women
- Deep commitment to social justice, policy advocacy and research
- Experience writing and placing opinion editor and letters to the editor
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft word and powerpoint or similar programs
- Entrepreneurial, flexible, creative, energetic, hard-working and unafraid of challenges
- Strong, proactive project management skills with solid experience managing and coordinating projects and issue campaigns
- Expert experience using social media
- Sense of humor;
- Knowledge of Black communities/working with Black communities a plus;
- Deep understanding and history of Reproductive Justice;
- Experience grant writing;
- Experience with doing community participatory research.
Salary and Benefits:
Annual Salary Range: $55,000 - $65,000 depending on experience.
Organized by 6 women in 1997, Black Women for Wellness (BWW) is on a mission to enhance the
health and well-being of Black Women and their families through education, empowerment and
civic engagement. We are a multi-generational, membership-based, volunteer-driven organization
utilizing civic engagement, community education, policy and media outreach to address the health
inequities of Black women and their children. Our strategies include: (1) Increasing communication,
networking and information sharing among community members; (2) Developing and
implementing programs and health education materials that are culturally and gender attuned to the
lifestyles and needs of Black women and families in CA; (3) Supporting and empowering women to
take leadership roles and positions that advocate for and drive resources; (4) Research and
validation of effective prevention strategies and tools while documenting new trends that impact
health and well being; (4) Being an active listening voice concerning the health status of Black
women and their families.
Founded in 2017, Black Women for Wellness Action (BWWAP) project mission is to build and
exercise the electoral power of Black women in California through advocacy, civic and political
engagement. BWWAP is rooted in the reproductive justice framework of Black Women Women for
Wellness, an organization with over a 20-year history serving black women and girls. In Black
Women for Wellness Action Project short history, we have been able to make our mark within the
community as well as to began to build the infrastructure needed for a high functioning impactful
Send Resume and Cover Letter to Robert Akil Bell - firstname.lastname@example.org
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.